Tax remission

What is it and how does it work?

If you decide to live in an independent household (you have your own entrance, kitchen, and toilet) you will have to deal with Dutch municipal and water taxes. These taxes are arranged by the municipality where you live and can be very costly and the amount can differ depending on where you live. No worries! As a student you can apply for remission, meaning you don't have to pay them provided that you meet the conditions set by the tax offices.

When you apply for remission, you must immediately enclose various documents. Book a consultation with us to find out what you need and how to apply for a tax remission.


Once you have submitted your request for remission, you can expect a decision from them within six months. If you do not agree with the decision, you can lodge an appeal within ten days.